Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why Men Are Like Hostels

Similar to the men I have dated, I've yet to find a hostel to fulfill all of my needs. Close but no cigar. For instance, in Spain I stayed at a place that was a non stop party. Perfect location, close to the beach, great people, the price was right but it was dirty and one of my favorite shirts went missing there. This is the cool guy that you meet at the bar and should have left there. He's making you laugh, dancing all night, buying everyone drinks(most likely with money he doesn't have) but somehow he loses his charm when you are sober and introducing him to your parents.
The hostel I stayed at in Vienna had a smorgasbord breakfast included, white crisp linens, a view of the city, free Internet and a private shower in each room but it was in the middle of nowhere and bored me to tears. This guy is good on paper. Prestigious job, virtuous lifestyle, your friends and family adore him, he treats you like a queen. He flosses everyday and pays his bills on time but passion is nonexistent. When it comes down to it, it's best to be alone. If you are bored now, what does the future hold?
There was a place in Amsterdam I checked into that was right smack in the red light district where all the action was. This place was clean but impersonal and literally just a bed to sleep in. The staff was incredibly rude and everyone that was staying there was there for one reason only and you know what that was. I talked to people in that place that were on three and four day benders, it was really disturbing. Yes, a lot of people go all the way to the Netherlands to sit in a hotel room with their friends and do drugs and drink for days in a row. You don't even know why you are with this guy and decide not to answer his calls and texts anymore and he makes it easy for you. He never calls anyway. You would like to forget about him and hope everyone else does too.
And who could forget Croatia? The country and the hostels there are like the Spice Girls. When you see them from far away they look really hot, but when you take a closer look they are really not all that. You let your smaller self tell you this guy has it all. You jump the gun and tell everyone you are in love! Esthetically yes, this place is gorgeous and appears to have the whole package but then you start noticing the owner dragging his feet around like a zombie, never noticing anything substantial coming out of his mouth. You and his mother hit it off as well and then you reconsider and realize you are dealing with a woman that sits outside every night laughing to no one but herself and shouting "opa!" randomly into the night. You also overhear her telling her son that she thinks he can do better than some hairdresser anyway and you would like to see him try. This guy better maintain his looks because he is vapid and has nothing else to offer. The looks fade rather quickly when the lights are on but nobody's home. This guy is nothing but arm candy in this short lived affair.
These scenarios are based on true events but I choose to protect the innocent. For days I could go on with these comparisons. I love men though they know not what they do. Perhaps the perfect hostel exists but only in my fantasy? My search is not nearly through and I will hold the skeleton key to the secret garden around my neck. It is beginning to rust slightly but I will not settle. I want it all baby. I want it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment